In 1917 a small group of Polish and Latin American families united their efforts to construct a small frame church on a two acre plot in the township of La Vernia on River Street. La Vernia at that time was a ranching and cotton farming community with a railroad track connecting it to the outside world. Mass was held on occasion when a priest would come from a nearby town to perform baptisms and marriages.

By 1921 the small church relied on the Redemptorist Fathers from Our Lady of Perpetual Help Church in San Antonio providing priests to celebrate mass. Sunday Mass at first became a monthly event; later a weekly mass was provided. In 1950, St. Ann Church became a mission church of Annunciation of the Blessed Virgin Mary Church, St. Hedwig.

The small wood frame church was replaced in November 1963 with a brick church on U.S. Hwy. 87 on four acres purchased from J.L. Sanders for $2,500. The church cost $35,000. Fr. Benedict Pruski of Annunciation of the Blessed Virgin Mary Church, St. Hedwig, supervised the new construction. He also encouraged St. Ann Church to become a parish separate from Annunciation of the B. V. M. Church.

On November 30, 1965, St. Ann Church became an independent parish with a permanent pastor, Fr. Benjamin Bonazza. With the establishment of a new parish the parish boundaries encompassed portions of St. Hedwig, Seguin, Nixon and Floresville. St. Mary Church, Stockdale, became a mission church of St. Ann Church until 1973.

The small farming and ranching community has grown into a community filled with commuters traveling to the city for work. Growth began outside the city in the form of subdivisions. St. Ann Church needed to expand to provide our parish members growing room. Plans to build a new sanctuary began in 1991 with the dedication of the sanctuary on March 5, 2000. The sanctuary seats 600 people.
Additional stained glass windows were added in 2004.



We are so glad you have chosen us as your new home.  Please click the button below and download the registration form.  Please fill out and return to the St. Ann Parish Office.